Monday, October 6, 2014

Synergy is the interaction of multiple elements in a system to produce an effect greater than the sum of their individual effects



In order to accomplish great things we need participation and action for every Eta Kappa. We need to bring all our thoughts and ideas together, interact and discuss the many options we have in front of us and chose a path that will enrich all our lives beyond what we would have without an Alumni Chapter. This is Synergy in action.

I asked you all in back in July 2013 to seek three Eta Kappa Alumni that are not members of the Alumni Chapter and get them to join. I have found that this very simple technique, works best. As I look over the list of Eta Kappa initiates and compare this to our membership, I have 900 names to pick from; many of those are my pledge brothers and classmates in college. So, I sit down and draft a short email to them and send it off. I reconnect with people I care about and also, share with them how important the Alumni Chapter is to the future of Eta Kappa Chapter of Sigma Nu.

This works, it’s the simplest and most straight forward method to increase our membership. It also always gets an immediate response. So, if all of you Alumni Chapter members do this and get three new members we will increase our membership to FOUR hundred Fifty. Then the 450 can work on the other 450.

Can you even imagine the synergy we would generate with that kind of membership? This would give us the resources to not only re-colonize the Chapter; we would be able to do so much more as well.

It seems so simple on the surface, yet I’m pretty confident most of you will say yes but not act. This gets thrown at me more than you can even imagine, buy our elders. Of course as we grow that difference in age gets smaller and small, so when I say elders it is very easy for me to distinguish. To me my Sigma Nu Elders are our founders. Eta Kappa 1-50. I pick these numbers to give you something to grab on. If you’re HK 500 you may have a different definition of Elder Sigma Nu. That is the beauty of our organization.

As Sigma Nu’s of SDSU we have always been about action. Action speaks louder than words. We were never the loudest fraternity on Campus but we were always able make a big impact when we put our minds to it and even sometimes when we didn’t.

As our initial kick off to this Sigma Nu – Eta Kappa Blog, my theme here is ACT now to help re-colonize your Eta Kappa. Let’s all put our individual stamp on Sigma Nu and make our Alumni Chapter the largest Sigma Nu Alumni Chapter in the Nation.

This one simple act, join if you haven’t and get two more brothers to join or peer pressure your three favorite Eta Kappa brothers that haven’t joined to step up and join. This one thing will push our chapter to the next level for Re-colonization.

Seriously gentlemen, we are on the brink. I have personally pushed us to the edge. We are there; you know the feeling to stand on the edge of the Cliff at La Jolla Cove that rush of adrenaline as you do something you never thought you could do. That rush as you cross the finish line or goal line. I have put all eyes on us. The school and National have both been asked to take a chance on Eta Kappa. Sigma Nu is on board and is now asking SDSU to let us show them what Sigma Nu is really all about.

As I move forward and re-colonize our chapter we will develop many valuable and beneficial resources. This Blog is one of them. Let’s all collaborate and contribute material to benefit us all. Let me know what you would like to see and who you would like to hear from in the future. Remember Sigma Nu is for Life.

Act now; join the Alumni Chapter NOW, http://www.etakappaalumni.org

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these memories, Jim, and for your many efforts, including getting this blog up and running. I'm hoping to see many familiar faces at Homecoming this year. Bruce Pendleton

    ReplyDelete